New World Preparatory
New World Preparatory (NWP) opened its doors in September 2010. At full capacity, the school will house 375 sixth through eighth grade students. NWP’s student body will reflect the community’s rich cultural diversity, one that includes a high recent immigrant population.
Located on Staten Island’s north shore, NWP is a charter middle school that celebrates diversity and is committed to teaching tolerance. The school’s key design elements include: academic rigor and relevance; personalization; strong professional development; and engaging families and the larger school community as critical partners.
NWP will provide students with a curriculum weighted in English Language Arts and reinforced language arts skills in all of the traditional core subjects – social studies, English Language Arts, math, and science. The school will have a directed focus on Civic Leadership and Social Justice, emphasizing the importance of improving community life, seeking justice for all peoples and caring for one another. The school’s academic program will also include Spanish, health, physical education, consumer sciences, career development and occupational sciences and the arts. NWP will provide structured time to support the social and emotional needs of each student. Students in all grades will participate in an advisory program that will further develop adult-student relationships to support learning and emotional development. Each student will be assigned a single teacher to serve as their advisor, with each teacher responsible for a core group of students.
There will be a public Board Meeting on Monday, August 31st at 5:30PM. Parents and the community are welcome to join us. If you have any questions please call us at 718-705-8990.
1. Complete the entire packet and hand in any scrap paper used.
2. Complete at least 10 I-ready lessons.
3. Have a wonderful summer!!!!
Algebra Regents is tomorrow!!
Sleep well and eat a good breakfast!
Want to raise your English AND Writing grade? Complete the following assignment and hand it in to me NO LATER than Friday, 6/19:
8th Grade ELA Extra-Credit Assignment
Using an MPO to help guide you, write a five-paragraph essay on one of the following topics:
- The play presents several different couples: Theseus and Hippolyta,; Hermia and Lysander, Helena and Demetrius, Titania and Bottom, and Titania and Oberon. What aspects of love are explored in each of these relationships (think of the different themes we discussed in class)?
- Compare and contrast the difficulties of Hermia and Lysander with those of Pyramus and Thisby.
- What is the importance of dreams in this play? How do they affect the outcome?
- What part does friendship play? Is loyalty of importance? How?